Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Anti-War & Pro-Choice


Upon some self-reflection, I have come to the realization that I am anti-war and pro-choice. Yes, it’s true! Unbelievable, isn’t it?

I am anti-war. I do not like what war brings. I do not like the devastation and depravation and destruction and deaths. I do not like to see lives forever ruined by war. I do not like the atrocities committed during war. I had to confront myself honestly – I am anti-war!

This is why I so much detest the tyrants and their armies who constantly oppress their people, create instability, and seek to increase their territory through armed aggression. This is why I believe that they need to be constantly and consistently opposed by people who are free and who seek freedom for everyone. Not every confrontation has to lead to armed conflict, but every tyrant everywhere should know that their behavior and their evil intentions are unacceptable and will not be tolerated by free people everywhere. I detest war, and I detest even more those who bring war.

This leads me to my second self-realization: I am pro-choice! I believe that free people everywhere should have the choice to decide to oppose tyranny and to defend their liberties. And if the choice is made for defense of freedom and opposition to tyrants, then free people everywhere should support such a just cause. As one of the never-used verses of our National Anthem reminds us, may we always stand for true liberty and justice:



Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war’s desolation,
Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the Heav’n-rescued land
Praise the Pow’r that hath made and preserved us a nation!Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

3 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

Excellent!

Malott said...

Is that really another verse of Key's poem?

I tried to sing it and it didn't quite fit the notes of the verse I know.

ChuckL said...

Yes, it really is one of the verses. One source of lyrics is wikipedia (not to mention my 1954 edition of Childcraft, vol. 11. Not all the verses divided the way I thought they would when posted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/
wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner