Saturday, September 20, 2008

No Spontaneous Big Bang Yet


My imagination was sparked a few weeks ago as newspaper headlines announced the recreation of a “big bang.” Being scientifically inquisitive, I proceeded to read the articles in their entirety. And, being scientifically inquisitive, I found myself making a couple of observations about what I discovered.

First, in spite of the headline leads, there has not been a “big bang” yet. What has really happened is that the particle accelerator that they hope to use has been tested. Are professional journalists taught to constantly deceive their paying public with cleverly crafted but misleading headlines? Is that what constitutes responsible journalism?

Second, I observe that in order to attempt a recreation of the “big bang,” a machine had to be created. Then the created particular matter from which the process begins has to be provided. Finally, the correct environment has to be created in order for the process to get started. It requires the guiding hands of many scientific and technical creators to make a “big bang” recreation happen. Hmmm… appears to be some food for thought here: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” - Genesis 1:1.

There are some who may read this and think, “What a fool to believe the preposterous idea that something created something out of nothing!” I admit that this is indeed a preposterous, fantastic belief . At the same time, I invite you to consider the skeptical atheist’s alternative belief concerning the origin of the universe: nothing created something out of nothing. I fail the atheist’s test. I do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

2 comments:

FortPatriot said...

Chuck - great points!

Also, since when does two things (objects) colliding together create anything new? Not only new matter, but matter that is complex and has order. Usally when I collide two things together it results in chaos (granted I'm not a scientist). I thought real science is suppose to be observable and repeatable:)

ChuckL said...

Thanks much. Yeah, funny what collissions are supposed to do here.

Sorry to take so long to make a response.