Thursday, December 11, 2008

Turmoil


What a wild ride in the markets and economy. Sorry for not posting for a while; the market downturn to new lows plus some other events really put me into a bit of turmoil. I would not be honest if I pretended not to be shaken by the current economic climate and markets.


Nevertheless, all is not without hope. The Christians' faith is in our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. He is our ultimate anchor in every storm. I have concerns, but I also have Christ. Better yet, Christ has me.


The markets continue to be a concern to those who have saved and invested for their future. It has definitely been a tough, disappointing ride in just a three month time span. Still, after its dip below the 8,000 level, the Dow Jones Industrial Average returned above that level where it is showing some stability. I remain concerned and spooked, but I am trying to regain my own stability and work on recovery from the downturn. I remain positive that applying my lessons learned will assist greatly in recovering from this turmoil.

4 comments:

SkyePuppy said...

I bailed out of the market a couple months before it took a dive, because I needed the cash (no great predictive skills). But the analysis I've heard has been that the market is undervalued right now, and if you can, it's a good time to buy stocks. Most of the solid companies are selling for significantly less than their stocks are worth.

Just a little free info. Take it for what it's worth...

You're right, though, that we have the ultimate anchor for any storm.

ChuckL said...

Hi SkyePuppy!

Whether because of predictive skills or not, being out of the market earlier rather than later has been a good thing. Besides, as we used to say in Navy training: luck beats skill any day (LBSAD).

I would agree with the undervalued analysis most of the time. Even though there are many undervalued stocks, my concern is that the "recovery" is being mastered by government instead of by business. This means to me that a few patches will be applied which will look good for awhile until they become economically untenable again. Our elected idiots just refuse to learn from or about reality.

Therefore, I find it more difficult than ever to figure out what sectors and businesses are truly going to survive/thrive in this present and future economy.

I am cautious, but I have also been refining my personal system that is applicable in a variety of market environments. It's not really exotic; just compiling an eclectic collection of trading methods from various sources I have learned from over my years.

It is certainly being stress tested in this market! :)

Malott said...

IT'S ONLY MONEY. Our reward lies somewhere more real and satisfying.

How wonderful to be a follower of Christ. Everything works together for good!

ChuckL said...

Malott,

Thank you for your comment. Sorry for not getting back to you, but I just haven't been taking care of my blog. My downfall. I haven't meant to be so rude.