Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Using Public Transportation


I just submitted my latest thoughts on saving the planet to some of my local newspapers. Maybe my readers here can use the idea...


******

Dear Editor,

As a new school year rapidly approaches, I have been thinking of sacrifices we must make in order to save the planet. What better places to begin than in our schools? Advocates of policies that reduce global warming have been calling for mandatory use of public transportation for some time now. We have a lack of this in our smaller towns and communities, except in the area of public school transportation. Therefore, it logically follows that private student vehicles be prohibited on campus and that all students be required to ride the school bus provided, thus eliminating needless carbon emissions. In light of the alarms being raised by Professor Al Gore and others, it is critical that we make such sacrifices.

“Wait a minute!” I can hear readers exclaim. “They can’t tell me what to do!” I beg to differ. If we allow our Senators to pass the cap-and-trade bill that has already made it through the House, we are inviting our federal government to tell us: what cars to drive, where to set our thermostats, when to run our heat and a.c., what energy sources to use, what food to eat and how to cook it, and other areas of our lives I have yet to contemplate or that they have yet to add to this growing bill. Representative Nancy Pelosi (D - Calif.) has let Americans know that “every aspect of our lives must be subjected to an inventory” in order to combat global warming. Based on their promises, I would say that telling us what to do is exactly what our government has in mind.

By the way, area students, I doubt that any of you will be considered elitist enough to be allowed to escape the consequences of cap-and-trade and other global warming legislation. This isn’t Hollywood, you know.
******


Sacrifice is what it's all about!

No comments: