Sunday, March 29, 2009

Taking More Time Than It Should















I didn't make many entries last week because I was finishing my tax preparation. My principle frustration is not over paying taxes; it is over the complicated, convoluted instructions we have to follow. Even with the help of tax software (I have used Turbotax for years), it is challenging to get simple, straight answers on what should be simple issues.

I know I sound like the proverbial broken record on this, but I would like to see this unusable tax code replaced with the Fair Tax. The simplicity itself would be reason to rejoice. There are some very reasonable people who tell us that dismantling the current tax code will never happen. Well, it's supposed to be our government - the government of the people. There are all kinds of minority special interest groups getting their ways these days; why can't someone as reasonable as Fair Tax supporters get their way? I like to thik that the tax code can be changed, but it will take dedicated effort. I sometimes wish that conservatives (and the Fair Tax issue is not really a conservative/liberal issue) could be as united over some issues as liberals are over theirs.

Oh well, I'm finished with my tax preparation for another year. Yay!!!

2 comments:

Malott said...

There are soooo many good arguments for a flat tax. My favorite is that the drug dealers and illegals will add to the tax base.

Sweet.

ChuckL said...

When I first heard of the fair tax, I did not think I would be fond of it. Another sales/consumption tax? Yikes!

But learning the details continues to persuade me. It would, if implemented properly, rid us of the convoluted federal income tax. Just think... not penalized for saving, investing, & productivity.

As you say, drug dealers & illegals would have to participate - unless they manage to steal everything.

And... one I love to throw back at libs... it would immediately eliminate tax advantages to companies moving overseas in addition to reducing (ideally eliminating) special interest lobbying for favorable tax treatment. Libs are always complaining about these, yet they consistently oppose fresh ideas to overhaul the tax code.

Gee, do you think that maybe they are not completely genuine? :)