Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Branding


I know that my memory powers are extremely fallible, but I cannot bring to mind ANY recent American president or politician who has worked so diligently on universally branding himself/herself. Here is President Obama, however, plastering his personal logo everywhere. He shows up in front of the cameras over and over and over. Images of Barack H. Obama abound like no other American politician in recent memory.

What does come to my mind is under what circumstances a political figure's image and other unique branding symbology becomes a part of the culture in other countries. Consider, shall we say, Cuba where beloved leader and president-for-life Fidel Castro has posters of himself plastered all over the place and where he gets to thrill crowds with his rhetoric for hours on end. Then there is Venezuela and our good bud Hugo Chavez. How many posters and statues of Saddam Hussein were torn down after his demise? Ditto for Lenin and Stalin, et. al. How self-serving can these guys get? And who can forget Adolf Hitler's branding campaign utilizing the swastika?

I wonder in which nationally funded public park an Obama statue will pop up first. The White House lawn, perhaps? The lengths this guy goes to toot his own horn is astounding... and frightening.

One of my personal criticisms about former President Bush was that he was too low-key. I don't think he should have "built himself up," that part of his character I appreciated. I think that he could have used more publicity time to demonstrate highlight America's victories, similar to FDR. He was good at this during major events like the State of the Union address; I wish he had been similarly proactive at other times.

As far as face-time goes, President Barack Hussein Obama has more than made up for any lack of it by the previous administration. Too bad that it is all about him and the "changes" he plans for America.

1 comment:

ChuckL said...

From a friend:

Chuck,

I have always had trouble with the Obama symbol. My interpretation of the one shown here. A circle O meaning Obama is full circle in control of America. How do we know that? The flag to me appears to be a road that is underneath Obama's feet. America, despite the constitution, is what BHO wants not the people. You people just follow(Pied Piper) me( like in the picture here) and everything will be sunny(background).

Raleigh